Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Beautiful Sierra Madrid, Among other things

Hello, friends and family!

This has been a lovely weekend, full of new experiences and interesting stories!

I went out salsa dancing on Thursday and enjoyed myself, while also feeling a little bit inadequate for my feeble salsa skills, minimal meringue experience, and absolutely no bachata knowledge.

Friday my host sister threw a party and I got to meet a lot of her friends and hang out with them for the night! I also got to hear some jazz in a little bar downtown, so that was pretty cool, though I missed dancing Swing more than I can possibly say.

Saturday night was the "Noche en Blanco". A Madrid arts festival that happens out in downtown with all the museums staying open and the botanical gardens, and live concerts (more jazz)! I think about half of the full population was out there on the streets. It was pretty cool.

Today, I went on a trip to tour around the Sierra de Madrid, the mountain range north of Madrid proper. It's really beautiful, with very old, but not very tall mountains. I'd really like to go back there to hike the area. We also went to see a medieval castle near the mountains called the Piedrazos (lots of big rocks). It was great!

This is the Medieval Castle, Castillo de Manzanares El Real.

These are the tallest mountains in the area, so pretty!

The Monastery in the mountains that we visited- very pretty.

See the full album on Facebook! It'll be a busy week, and I go to Barcelona on Friday, but hopefully I'll be able to talk to some of you I haven't heard from yet!

Love to all of you!
A

No comments:

Post a Comment